In Tim Ferriss’ new book Tools of Titans he puts forward a method to optimize the process of fasting. In his typical 80/20 style, he aims to get the most benefits, in the least amount of time.
His recommended fast is conducted in a 3 day period, spanning Thursday evening to Sunday evening.
3-Day Fast Overview
- Stop eating Thursday night
- Friday morning go for a long walk to accelerate your transition into ketosis
- Friday and Saturday stay fasted, and consume moderate amounts of exogenous ketones and MCT oil (as needed), to give you a boost while you’re keto adapting.
- Sunday evening you break the fast.
Here’s the process in more detail if you don’t have Tools of Titans to hand:
- Eat a low carbohydrate dinner around 6pm. Make that the last meal of the day. Go to bed as normal.
- Drink some caffeine if needed, then get out the door and walk within 30 minutes of waking.
- Bring at least 1 litre of water, with some added salt (to prevent headaches/cramping), and sip as you walk.
- Walk for 3-4 hours(!). Filling up/buying more water as needed.
- Arrange phone calls for this time, to make the time productive.
- The idea behind the walk is that you use up your glycogen stores, forcing your body to move quicker into deep ketosis. The quicker you get into ketosis, the less time you spend feeling sub-optimal, and the less potential muscle wastage.
Friday Day (post walk)
- Consume exogenous ketones or MCT oil 2-3 times throughout the day, where necessary.
- Tim primarily uses KetoCaNa & KetoForce as exogenous ketone sources. Both these products contain 11.7g of Beta-hydroxybuterate per serving, and each contain 16 servings. The key difference is that KetoForce is an unflavoured (alkaline) liquid. And KetoCaNa is an orange flavoured powder you can mix into water.
- Dom D’Agostino, a leading authority on ketosis, and one of Tim’s regular podcast guests also users another product called Keygenix PRIME. Its comes in powder form and contains Beta-hydroxybuterate mixed with MCT powder. The mix of ketone salts and MCTs provide both a quick burst of energy, and a longer lasting ketone release. It may be possible to mimic this by taking ketone salts and MCTs together manually.
- MCT oil covers a range of MCT fractions; C8, C10 & C12. To induce maximum ketone production from MCT oil, you want pure C8 oil (also known as caprylic acid), this can be found in Bulletproof Brain Octane. Keep an eye out for MCT oils that have low levels of C8, and are mostly C10 and C12. Whilst they are technically MCT oils, they won’t raise ketones as well.
- The intention with these ketone sources is to provide your body and brain energy until your ketone levels elevate naturally. At which point the feelings of hunger will reduce, and you will feel like you have more energy.
- Upon waking, test blood ketones. You are aiming to be at 0.7mmol or greater. Ideally use a ketone blood testing meter like the Precision Xtra. Urine testing strips (cheaper option) are not accurate enough.
- If you’re at 0.7mmol, great, proceed normally with your day.
- If you’re under, consider going for another extended walk, and then re-test.
Saturday & Sunday Day
- Add further exogenous ketones or MCT oil if you need a boost. Once you are deep into ketosis they can be omitted.
- Incorporate some sodium in your water throughout the day. This can either be in the form of himalayan sea salt added to water, or via a specially formulated solution such as SaltStick electrolyte replacement pills.
- You can break your fast. Tim suggests for longer fasts, some care is needed on the re-feed. But for this 3 day fast, it doesn’t matter as much. Eat what you find to eat.
Potential benefits include:
- Increased autophagy – which amongst other things, plays a vital role in inducing pre cancerous cell death
- Immune system regeneration
- Reduced inflammation
- Increase in neurogenesis (new brain cells)
Tim Ferriss now aims to do this 3 day fast process once per month. With a 5-7 day fast once every 3 months.
If you enjoyed this post, you may also enjoy:
- Dr Rhonda Patrick’s Preferred Supplement List (article link)
- Dom D’Agostino’s Cancer Protocol (article link)
- Rhonda Patrick’s Diet Details – Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner (article link)
- Tim Ferriss’ Preferred Nootropic Choices (article link)
- Rhonda Patrick’s Pregnancy + Baby Product Recommendations (article link)
- Tim Ferriss Supplements – What He Takes and Why (article link)